Universe

San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore

Info

San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is a church in Milan, northern Italy. It was originally attached to the most important female convent of the Benedictines in the city, Monastero Maggiore, which is now in use as an archaeological museum.
The complex was founded in Lombard times, partially re-using ancient Roman edifices. Still today it includes a polygonal tower, a relic of the ancient Maximian walls, and a squared one, once part of the lost Hippodrome. The monastery is now home to Milan's Archaeological Museum.

The construction began in 1503 under design of Gian Giacomo Dolcebuono in collaboration with Giovanni Antonio Amadeo. The edifice was finished fifteen years later by Cristoforo Solari, divided into two parts: one for the faithful, one for the nuns. Until 1794 the latter were strongly forbidden to cross the dividing wall.

The façade is covered with gray stone from Ornavasso.

The interior has a vaulted nave separated by the divisory wall (the nuns followed the mass from a grating) and flanked by groin-vaulted chapels, which are surmounted by a serliana loggia.

The most important artwork of the church is the cycle of frescoes from the 16th century covering the walls. The dividing wall has frescoes by Bernardino Luini which flank an altarpiece with an Adoration of the Magi by Antonio Campi. The chapels in the faithful's area are by Aurelio Luini, son of Bernardino, and his brothers. The counterfaçade has a fresco by Simone Peterzano (1573). In the right side Bernardino Luini also frescoed the Chapel of St. Catherine of Alexandria (1530).

In the nuns' side is a 1554 organ and notable frescoes in the presbytery.

This article is licensed under the Creative Commons BY-SA License. It uses material from Wikipedia content.

Map

Updating...

Comments

Contacts

San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore Corso Magenta 15
20123 Milan, Italy

Services

Arounder on facebook

Arounder on twitter

Arounder on Pinterest