The Cimitero Monumentale in Milan, Italy is a very large cemetery, noted for its abundance of highly artistic and often imposing tombs.
It was designed by the architect Carlo Maciachini (1818-1899). It was planned to consolidate a number of small cemeteries that used to be scattered around the city into a single location, at that time well removed from the thickly built central city area.
It opened in 1866 and since then has been filled with a wide range of both contemporary and classical Italian sculptures as well as Greek temples, elaborate obelisks, and other original works such as a scaled-down version of Trajan's Column. Many of the tombs belong to noted industrialist dynasties, sometimes eponymous of world famous businesses and brands.
The main entrance is through the large Famedio, a massive Hall-of-Fame-like Neo-Medieval style building of marble and stone that contains the tombs of some of the city's and the country's most honored citizens.
The Civico Mausoleo Palanti designed by the architect Mario Palanti is a tomb built to house the dead famous "Milanesi" not enough for admission to the memorial chapel, but representative of some merit had in life. The memorial of about 800 Milanese killed in Nazi concentration camps is located in the center instead, just get off the stairs of the memorial chapel, and is the work of the group BBPR, formed by leading exponents of Italian rationalist architecture, one of which (Gianluigi Banfi) died in Mauthausen in 1945. The cemetery has a special section for those who do not belong to the Catholic religion.
The cemetery has a non-Catholic section and a Jewish section.
Near the entrance is an exhibit of prints, photographs, and maps outlining its historical development. The exhibit includes two battery-operated electric hearses built in the 1920s.
This article is licensed under the Creative Commons BY-SA License. It uses material from Wikipedia content.